Thursday, February 28, 2013

Release Day Review: Sapphire Sun by Suzi Davis

Sapphire Sun
Sapphire Sun by Suzi Davis
You can't escape the past. You can try to forget but it never truly leaves you. It is a part of who are you are; it has shaped you, it will shape your future. It is the shadow behind you. You can't outrun it, you can't hide from it or deny it - the past will always exist. Who you once were is still a part of who you are today. This, I now understand.
My name is Gracelynn Stevenson. I tried to destroy The Lost Magic. I tried to erase the past. I tried to make things go back to the way that they once were. I failed. And now all the happiness I thought I had found, has been lost to the shadows...
”add
Publishes in US: February 28th 2013 by Central Avenue Publishing
Genre: YA paranormal
Source: publisher for review
Series? Yes. The 3rd. 1st is Amber Frost (see my review), 2nd is Silver Dew (see my review)

Find Suzi online: site   twitter  blog 

 
    So, first let me say, if you haven't read this series, you should give it a try. I love it and really liked Grace's character and the love story is great. With that said--there will probably be spoilers for the first two in the series.
    Going into Sapphire Sun, I had forgotten a few things, but I remembered the love and devotion that Grace and Sebastian had for each other. And, as it turns out, the blurb tells you most of what you need to know, and Grace and Sebastian's memories are blank as to what happened in Greece. But I was sucked right back into her world and terror since it opens with a nightmare... But at first you aren't sure that is what it is, and I am not sure if it is memories trying to haunt her and how much the paranoia when she wakes is warranted. 
    The plot is fast and there is so much coming at Grace. Hard, life changing things, and I appreciated how she handled it all. For the most part. I had to remind myself that she was young, and love is all consuming, and as the distance between her and Sebastian starts to grow once her magic reawakens and his apparently doesn't, he withdraws. She can see that he is dealing with a lot, but he doesn't want to burden her so he doesn't talk to her about it. Which only upsets her more, because she felt like she was all on her own. And I can totally sympathize with that, because for the most part, women just want to nurture, and men want to handle it themselves, and these two mindsets don't mesh. But she puts off some of the responsibilities that she agreed to with the spirits, and that creates a whole world of trouble that she couldn't predict. This is where I wished that she could have found some kind of balance before everything went so far downhill. 
    But then they wouldn't have learned and grown as characters so much I guess. And it was quite a journey, watching their hearts be broken, deal with things that no young adult should have to. It made me feel right along with Grace, and watching her learn to be a leader and what that means, as well as embracing what she was called to do, and learn balance with the magic that she has been trusted with. 
    There are both old and new characters in this one. There was one in particular that I didn't know what to make of the seeming changes, and I didn't know if I wanted to trust him, but I wanted to. There is also wedding planning that made me giddy, and some very hot scenes that made me squee and blush a bit. 
    The ending was very satisfying, and had a few twists that I didn't see coming, but it was very sweet and I think that it wrapped up the book very nicely. 

Bottom Line: Heart stopping continuation of the love story between Grace and Sebastian, with some surprising and emotional twists.

My question to you, my lovely readers:
Have you ever wished to erase memories of the past?

27 comments:

  1. No. Actually, looking back, the worst things in my life brought about the best.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love it when the ending is fitting and satisfying. :)
    Yes, there are MANY memories I wish I could erase, or go back in time to avoid.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Unfortunately, I also have a lot of memories I wish I could erase. I guess that's taking the easy way out though! Sounds like a great book, I'll have to check it out.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, embarrassing moments I would so love to erase, or times when I should have kept my mouth shut..but only older me would know that!

    ReplyDelete
  5. this is a new series to me, and I am gald that it continues to excel for you. I also like that it doesn't have a cliffhanger. I am always up for reading a book without a cliffie. It is nice that the characters show lots of growth as well. Yes, of course there are a few embarrassing moments that the older wiser me would like to erase, but then agaoin how would I learn from my mistakes if I didn't make them?

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have plenty of memories I'd like to erase. This i'll check out the first book :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Aww, it sounds like they really matured throughout this book, and became better characters. Plus the squee moments sound good! ;D

    Hm. I'm really not sure that I have any memories that I'd like to erase. o.O

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have this first book, but haven't had a chance to read it. Sounds like one I really need to start to dive into! These characters seem really drawn out well.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I honestly haven't heard of this series before but Grace and Sebastian sound like wonderful characters and I certainly want to meet them.
    Great review, Brandi!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Haven't heard of this series before but it sounds like you had a great time enjoying the books!

    In relation to your question, I value all the precious life lessons that I've gained from my past and I guess if I could choose, I might selectively erase some of my emotional attachment to those memories :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I've never heard of this series before but it does sound good. Fast paced and the characters sound really likeable. Great review Brandi. And I think we all have things in our past we'd like to erase, but as we can't, we need to learn from our mistakes :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I've never heard of this series but thanks for bringing it to my attention!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm glad this proved to be a great read for you! i haven't started this series yet, but I look forward to meeting Grace and Sebastian. Lovely review, Brandi. :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. I don't think I've heard of these. I'm glad it ended well, though! Always a plus for series.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I'd never heard of this series, but it sounds interesting. Oh, sure I'd definitely erase some memories of the past. When I saw Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind, I definitely thought about a few I'd happily get rid of (mostly to do with breakups). Amazing review Brandi!

    ReplyDelete
  16. the blurb is just okay for me but you make this sound good. Maybe I will give it a shot.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I have not read this series yet, but I really enjoyed the synopsis and so hopefully I can get to it soon. I can't wait to meet Grace and Sebastian, they both sound wonderful. I'm glad you enjoyed this one. Brilliant review, Brandi! :D

    ~ Maida
    Literary Love Affair 

    ReplyDelete
  18. I would love to erase memories from the past. Just a couple that I really wish I could forget.

    This series sounds great. I hadn't heard of it before. :)

    ~Sara @ Forever 17 Books

    ReplyDelete
  19. I think everything great or horrific in our pasts molds us into who we are. Personally, I like who I am today and wouldn't want that changed so I will keep the good and the bad. You have made this one sound really good. I'm looking more into this series now :D Jaclyn @ JC's Book Haven

    ReplyDelete
  20. I haven't heard of this series, but it definitely sounds like one I would enjoy. Thanks for bringing it to my attention. As for erasing memories of the past - I don't think so. How would we learn from our mistakes or learn to not take the good things for granted? Happy Reading :)

    ReplyDelete
  21. I haven't heard of this series and I might have just read spoilers but man that cover is awesome. That just kind of drew my eye downward so I could see what was going on. Sounds like a lot is happening. I think I need to look into this series. Those guys and their egos!

    Heather

    ReplyDelete
  22. Wow, had to skip things because it's the third book and I hadn't heard of them so I haven't read the first two books. There was a time when I kept saying I wanted to have a time machine so I could go back in time and change certain things. But then I started thinking, even though all those things I want to change have caused me pain, I learned something from them and I enjoyed them at the moment. So I don't think I'd change anything, the memories are all I have and I love every single one of them. The pain that came after, will eventually pass but the great memories will always be there.

    ReplyDelete
  23. I haven't heard of this series before but it really sounds interesting. I love the blurb for this book. I should give it a try :) Great review :)

    ReplyDelete
  24. I'm glad you enjoyed this one so much. It sounds like a great plot. Great review darling!

    ReplyDelete
  25. This does sound like a good series! I really like the cover too, very artsy =)

    ReplyDelete
  26. I kind of skimmed your review and got the gist of it without spoilers. It sounds like a great series though and I really like the covers!

    ReplyDelete
  27. This sounds neat I don't think I've heard about this before I love it when twists are actually not predictable it's so rare too! I'll have to keep an eye out for this one!

    ReplyDelete

I would love to hear from you! (I always try to visit your blog back) I love links, so feel free to link to your blog or a post you like.
Sorry, but I am award and tag free zone, I do not have the time to return. Comments are reward enough :)