Thursday, September 15, 2011

Review: But I Love Him by Amanda Grace

But I Love Him
But I Love Him by Amanda Grace

Tonight was so much worse than anything before it. Tonight he didn't stop after the first slap.
At the beginning of senior year, Ann was a smiling, straight-A student and track star with friends and a future. Then she met a haunted young man named Connor. Only she can heal his emotional scars; only he could make her feel so loved — and needed. Ann can't recall the pivotal moment it all changed, when she surrendered everything to be with him, but by graduation, her life has become a dangerous high wire act. Just one mistake could trigger Connor's rage, a senseless storm of cruel words and violence damaging everything — and everyone — in its path.
This evocative slideshow of flashbacks reveals a heartbreaking story of love gone terribly wrong.

Published in US: Aug 2011
Source: Library

My review:

      On one hand, I really enjoyed and sped through But I Love Him, but on the other, I still have reservations.
   I think that the positive part is definitely the winner though because this is an issue that is near to my heart, and it is really hard to tackle it in a way that will suit everyone. But a book like this has a very powerful message that women all around need to hear and remember. It's easy to say, that's where I would walk away... but it's not that simple. And the way that Ms. Hubbard/Grace did it in reverse order, where it wasn't so easy to pin an exact moment that the reader can point to, because when you're in it, in love, that moment is just as unclear.
   I really like the character of Abby, it is the definition of a true friend, and I like the characterization of Ann. Sometimes we have the kick ass heroines, and it's good to admire that, but I think that Ann is more of what you find in real life--with real strengths, and with all too real weaknesses.


4 comments:

  1. Hi Brandi! You won my blog giveaway! http://eveningfades.blogspot.com/2011/09/and-winner-is.html Congratulations!

    T.K. Richardson
    http://tkrichardson.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, this book sure seems to have a powerful message. I'm not sure what my reaction - reading it - would be and because of that....I REALLY want to give it a shot now :-)
    As for the heroine...I think there's a difference between one with weaknesses (we all have them after all) and an annoying one. You have to be able to relate to Ann, otherwise the story wouldn't work. Glad to here you liked her!
    Thanks for your review!
    _yay_ @ BookthatThing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really is powerful. Let me know if you read what you think

      Delete
  3. Great review! Ann sounds like a great character (at least at first). I
    haven't actually heard of this book before but I often love it when they
    drive ahead and go with hard subjects. I'll keep an eye out for this
    one.
    Dependable reliable San Antonio House Cleaning site info

    ReplyDelete

I would love to hear from you! (I always try to visit your blog back) I love links, so feel free to link to your blog or a post you like.
Sorry, but I am award and tag free zone, I do not have the time to return. Comments are reward enough :)