Thursday, December 9, 2010

Review: One Wish by Leigh Brescia

One Wish
One Wish by Leigh Brescia
Overweight Wrenn Scott desperately wants to be popular and snag a hot boyfriend. Living with her single mom and younger sister, Karly, she lands a lead role in the high school musical, her voice for once overshadowing her weight. Pushing to get thinner by opening night, Wrenn's waistline shrinks as she learns all the wrong ways to lose weight from a new "it-girl" friend in the show. Meanwhile, her mom is falling for Phil, "a balding Channel 8 News-nerd"; her sister is wrapped up in her own share of middle school drama, and Wrenn's best friend has fallen for a guy she met online-but hasn't even seen yet! Topping it off, geeky stage manager Steven has a crush on her. But Wrenn doesn't want to be seen with him- she's holding out for a trophy boyfriend whom everyone will envy. By opening night, the old Wrenn has almost disappeared. After a crisis reveals her weight-loss tricks, Wrenn realizes there are much more important things than being thin, popular, or even dating a hunk.


Book links to and photo from The Book Depository and teaser from Goodreads
Published in US: Apr 23rd 2009
Standalone novel
Source: Interlibrary loan

**My rating: 3/5**

*My Review*


   One Wish is a realistic novel that deals with important issues. I am always drawn to "issue" books and especially dealing with eating disorders as I have some personal experience. It has a unique take because I have never seen this aspect of eating disorders written about.
   Wrenn, the main character, is realistic, and I can relate with her struggles and self esteem issues. She has a wonderful best friend Zoe, who I would love to have for a friend. Her interactions with her family are well written too, and they are pretty spot on. Her mom isn't conveniently absent, and although she notices and tries to address the weight loss, these things can really fall under the radar much easier than people like to think.
    My absolute favorite character is Steven. I absolutely love nerds in real life, and this fictional character made me remember that not all men have to be dark mysterious and drop dead handsome. The cute and nerdy ones have a lot of heart and character.
   I recommend to pick it up. It deals realistically with body image, eating disorders, popularity and healing.


I would love to hear what you think about my review and/or this book!

2 comments:

  1. I love the sound of this one, but as someone recovering from ED, I think this might be too triggering for me. Great review though, Brandi! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This sounds like a powerful book. So many girls suffer eating disorders...you find the bestbooks to review.

    ReplyDelete

I would love to hear from you! (I always try to visit your blog back) I love links, so feel free to link to your blog or a post you like.
Sorry, but I am award and tag free zone, I do not have the time to return. Comments are reward enough :)